nv driver

Antonio M antonio.montagnani at gmail.com
Sat Apr 12 11:36:57 UTC 2008

2008/4/12, Antonio M <antonio.montagnani at gmail.com>:

> 2008/4/12, Andrew Farris <lordmorgul at gmail.com>:
> >
> > Antonio M wrote:
> >
> > > With latest driver
> > > xorg-x11-drv-nv 2.1.8-1.fc9
> > >
> > > when I try to change resolution of screen by system-config-display
> > > something
> > > goes wrong...
> > >
> > > 1) when I start system-config-display, system-config-display is very
> > > slow,
> > > and it says that I have a resolution of 800x600 (that is not true..),
> > > and it
> > > stops any application for a while. and I get the system-config-display
> > > screen on a black screen
> > >

> > I don't see this slowness or black screen with nv.  Also s-c-d properly
> > detects my current resolution at 1280x1024 and my monitor/graphics card as
> > well.
> >
> >  2) if I change to 800x600 and I re-login I get an ugly screen with
> > > rounded
> > > small window..
> > >

> > Run it in a terminal and see if you get any output that suggests where
> > the blame should be -- its not clear which is causing the problem.  The
> > slowness and resolution detection being wrong is probably s-c-d, but
> > resulting in a black screen and screwy UI sounds like something with nv/X.
> >  I'd file it against s-c-d probably since thats what triggers the problem
> > anyway.
> >
> > --
> > Andrew Farris <lordmorgul at gmail.com> www.lordmorgul.net
> >  gpg 0x8300BF29 fingerprint 071D FFE0 4CBC 13FC 7DEB  5BD5 5F89 8E1B
> > 8300 BF29
> >
> > --
> >

> Andrew
>
> latest updates are a mess..
>
> If I switch to nouveau driver, system crashes at start-up. with a list of
> errors....
> But furthermore yumex is not working any more and I do not remember on any
> recent yumex update: if I start yumex in a terminal, it asks for root
> password and then idles..
> S-c-d when started on a blank screen it shows resolution of 800x600 even
> if I am running on 1024x768!!!! and this is my xorg.conf file.
> Buttons of mouse are crazy!!!!
>
> # Xorg configuration created by system-config-display
>
> Section "ServerLayout"
>     Identifier     "single head configuration"
>     Screen      0  "Screen0" 0 0
> EndSection
>
> Section "Device"
>     Identifier  "Videocard0"
>     Driver      "nv"
> EndSection
>
> Section "Screen"
>     Identifier "Screen0"
>     Device     "Videocard0"
>     DefaultDepth     24
>     SubSection "Display"
>         Viewport   0 0
>         Depth     24
>         Modes    "1024x768" "800x600" "640x480"
>     EndSubSection
> EndSection
>
> any comment???
> --
> [...]

additional comments:

Now I can't start an application clicking on icons on a panel!!! it I click
on Firefor icon I see a cross!!!. and right button is crazy on
applications!!! for example by right button on gmail I should see  a kind of
dictionary, now nothing happens.

How may bugs should I file????  :-)

--
Antonio Montagnani