A question about freenx

mike mike.cloaked at gmail.com
Thu Apr 17 20:12:35 UTC 2008

I have successfully been using vnc as a means for remote management of fedora
machines for some years.  I have just spotted that there are two recently
approved packages (freenx-server and freenx-client) that will become available
soon, but I have never used freenx in any of its forms previously.

In the case of vnc it is possible to load the vnc module when X starts so that
a remote machine can then connect to the vnc server whether the local user is
logged in or not. This means that remote management of the machine is possible
even before the local user has logged in - which means that for example the
remote manager can reboot a machine from afar and then log the local user in
even when no person is physically at the vnc server machine which is extremely
useful.

Does anyone know if the same functionality can be achieved with freenx?
In addition are there any good howto articles that are up to date?