Fedora 9 Preview Release Experience

John Morris jmorris at beau.org
Sat Apr 19 20:09:02 UTC 2008

On Fri, 2008-04-18 at 16:13, John Summerfield wrote:

> Interpret "service foo" liberally, I've been wondering why several
> things are done during shutdown (and switching runlevels) including
> shutting down network interfaces.

Releasing DHCP leases would be the big reason for properly shutting down
the network.

> It may be a topic for a group discussion, I don't see the point of
> umounting filesystems unless and except where it's necessary so as to
> ensure the cache is flushed.

Avoiding fsck on the next boot when filesystems aren't properly
unmounted would be the big reason for 'doing the right thing.'

--
John M.      http://www.beau.org/~jmorris     This post is 100% M$Free!
Geekcode 3.1:GCS C+++ UL++++$ P++ L+++ W++ w--- Y++ b++ 5+++ R tv- e*