X rendered all white with compiz and i945gm ..and kernel mode-setting feedback

sipieter nicolas anarchic.teapot at gmail.com
Tue Apr 22 07:44:12 UTC 2008

hi there, first post on this list :)

i installed fedora9 preview on my lenovo thinkpad x60
the gfx chip is an intel "i945GM"
i've found when i run compiz X gets rendered all white.. i can't see a
thing.. but i can guess it's still working though:

 cube and scale plugin seem to respond, so i can see a white cube on a
slightly darkened white desktop ;)
.. same for "scale plugin, i see background that get darkened a bit..

i've figured if i install fusion-icon and choose "indirect rendering"
setting,
 my desktop is being rendered correctly :)
that's the good news.. so i can use compiz on my laptop.
it's working through that "indirect rendering option though.

i was wondering why i had to use that indirect rendering option, and if i
can get rid of it ?
i tryed adding "i915.modeset=1" in my grub.conf,
i can report new resolution available, fast vt switching, no problem with
font rendering, and things being a bit slower than before.. it seems stable,
and it didn't helped with my problem of X being rendered all white and me
having to set "indirect rendering" .. kernel mode setting looks very
promising though :)

hum.. anyone can see a solution about my X being rendered all white and
indirect rendering option problem ?

thanks