Add/Remove Software

G.Wolfe Woodbury ggw at wolves.durham.nc.us
Sun Apr 27 20:18:53 UTC 2008

James J Catchpole wrote:
> I am not sure if anyone has commented on the
> Add/Remove Software function but I find it
> almost impossible to use. Following are a couple
> of comments:
>
> 1) It appears that you can only Add or Remove
>     one package at a time.
>
> 2) The Filter function is almost useless
>
> 3) After every Install | Remove the entire list
>     must be refreshed
>
> 4) Depending on 'whatever' it often displays
>     Packages multiple times
>
> 5) I calculate that if I spent several days
>     working steadily with this function I still
>     would not come close to finishing.
>
> Maybe I am missing something that makes
> this function usable; anyone have any ideas?
>
> Jim

These flaws have been mentioned multiple times, and there are bugzilla
filings about them.

The real problem is that someone in the world of "them" has a vendetta
against pirut (the old app) and has *forced* this new regime on the
users despite the obvious problems.

Pirut was supposed to remain in the repository for F9 as an alternative
for this new POS interface, but "they" went ahead and obsoleted pirut
and have now removed it from F9 completely.

I don't know quite who "they" are, but I am quite angry about it.  Not
to the extent of leaving (like ESR did) but still quite angry.

Someone should explain why pirut is gone so completely.

--
G.Wolfe Woodbury