GDM Greeter

Christopher L Tubbs II ctubbsii at emich.edu
Mon Apr 28 14:42:26 UTC 2008

What does everybody think of the new greeter?

Personally, I have issues with it:

1) suspend option remains, even after disabling suspend globally via
gconf-editor (bug already reported, and apparently patch has already
been committed upstream)

2) I can't seem to configure my "face" image. Putting a ".face" graphic
in my home directory doesn't work, nor does configuring image with
System->Preferences->Personal->About Me.

3) Why is there an animation between clicking my name and typing my
password?!?! Even Windows XP welcome screen is better than this! I want
to log in NOW, not when the animation is complete.

4) Where the hell are the login screen settings? This is a serious
oversight. I had thought the greeter configuration was supposed to be
EASIER than previous releases (I can't remember where I read that, but
for some reason I was expecting it).

5) It's ugly.

Anybody else have thoughts on the Fedora 9 pre-release greeter?

Rainman