GDM Greeter

Michael Schwendt mschwendt.tmp0701.nospam at arcor.de
Mon Apr 28 21:56:45 UTC 2008

On Mon, 28 Apr 2008 16:42:55 -0400, Christopher L Tubbs II wrote:

> Andrew Farris wrote:
> > Michael Schwendt wrote:

> >> Why?
> >
> > Because that is static, boring, and stoic... all of which is not
> > dynamic, modern, alive, and active.  It may be slower, but I like it,
> > even with its clunkyness, and I think alot of other people will too.
> > When I'm desperate to login fast I use a VT.
> >

> Oh, it definitely has it's appeal... particularly with giving new users
> a good first impression that Fedora can do neat stuff,

The first impression is a strong flicker effect that makes the user
think "wtf can't the dialog reduce its size smoothly and without
flickering?" The second thought is a flicker of hope (pun intended) that
it's just the ugly dialog and not due to a fundamental accelleration
problem somewhere in the graphics driver.

> but for a lot of
> us, we just want to log in quickly. That's why I'd want it in a config
> utility.

[X] Flicker-free login dialog

;)