GDM Greeter

Rodd Clarkson rodd at clarkson.id.au
Wed Apr 30 04:09:58 UTC 2008

On Tue, 2008-04-29 at 11:25 -0400, Christopher L Tubbs II wrote:
> Rodd Clarkson wrote:
> [snip]
> >> Perhaps the simplest idea, though, is to have gnome-about-me ask the
> >> user if they'd like to modify home directory permissions to show face on
> >> desktop, so at least, there's no surprises.
> >
> > I'm just curious.  Where would you store them (other than the home
> > directory) that would remain during updates.
>
> Well, the images are already stored in the pixmaps directory, so you
> just need to store the path (if another path is specified that the
> greeter doesn't have permissions for, that's up to the user to make sure
> the permissions are correct). The path could be stored in an /etc/passwd
> type file (/etc/faces?), with a similar utility to allow each user to
> modify his/her own line (gnome-about-me could be modified to do it, but
> I'm not sure what this would involve).
>
> An alternative approach that would not allow users to modify their own
> image is to make the utility that edits the /etc/faces file be
> system-config-users. If that was the case, the utility could also have a
> checkbox "include in greeter list", along with input box for image path.
>
> Personally, I think the decision to have a username in the list is an
> administrator one, and the decision for the image is a user one.

But when I (like many) upgrade from one version of fedora to the next,
the /home partition is the only thing that is preserved.

The rest of the file system is replaced with a new one (often including
a format).  So /etc isn't going to still contain this images.

I suspect most users (and sysadmins, don't want to have to replace the
images each time the upgrade and having them in /home is a good place to
preserve them across installs.

R.
 It's much better on my side"