After updates, won't boot past the word "grub" with F9

Arch Willingham arch at tuparks.com
Wed Apr 30 17:25:39 UTC 2008

Thanks Joel.....I'll give that a shot.

Arch

-----Original Message-----
From: fedora-test-list-bounces at redhat.com [mailto:fedora-test-list-bounces at redhat.com] On Behalf Of Joel Gomberg
Sent: Wednesday, April 30, 2008 12:21 PM
To: For testers of Fedora Core development releases
Subject: Re: After updates, won't boot past the word "grub" with F9

Joel Gomberg wrote:
> I'm experiencing the same issue on an F9 x86_64 updated system.  I
> booted with the rescue disk and everything GRUB-related looks fine.  I
> ran a memory test which also checked out.  I don't know what component
> to file a bug against, although my suspicion is that it's anaconda.  Any
> help would be appreciated.  The system stops at the word "GRUB" and
> allows no further input.

Sorry to reply to my own message, but I've fixed the problem on my machine and
this may be of help to the OP.  Somehow, GRUB stage 1 was corrupted.  To fix the
problem:

1.  Use the install CD/DVD to boot into rescue mode.  After issuing the chroot
/mnt/sysimage command, type "grub."

2.  You should see a "grub >" command line.  type "root(hd0,0)".  Hit enter.

3.  Type "setup (hd0)" and hit enter.  This should reinstall grub in the MBR.

4.  Type "quit" to exit the grub shell.

Reboot.  This worked for me.  This method assumes a typical install of grub into
the MBR of the first hard drive.

--
Joel

--