UUIDs in fstab

Patrick O'Callaghan pocallaghan at gmail.com
Wed Apr 30 20:04:01 UTC 2008

On Wed, 2008-04-30 at 12:30 -0700, Andrew Farris wrote:
> Patrick O'Callaghan wrote:
> >> This is precisely the reason, because the realization has hit people that a
> >> system may have many linux distros installed on it, so labels made by other
> >> distros for '/' are not unique; at the same time the device names are no longer
> >> guaranteed to be in any particular ordering when some devices come and go
> >> (hotswapped drives especially).  UUIDs are the identifier that won't get mixed
> >> up or changed.
> >
> > It seems to me that there are two issues here:
> >
> > 1) How do I identify my disks/partitions so I know what's going on?
> > 2) How do I tell the system what to mount where in a consistent manner.
> >
> > Labels solve 1 but may fail at 2. UUIDS solve 2 but are awkward for 1.
> >
> > So, off the top of my head, why not use both? It's trivial for the
> > system to notice when two partitions have the same label, so at install
> > time (or mount time, or whatever) it could simply offer to change one of
> > them, e.g. if I have LABEL=foo on two partitions, relabel them foo-1 and
> > foo-2. Keep the UUIDs but make the labels work for the humans among us.
>
> The problem does not only arise at install time.  In fact, thats the simple
> case.  If you move a disk from system to system you could get it booting the
> wrong system because labels conflict, when during install it was fine.  So you
> need to make sure when two systems are installed their labels will be
> sufficiently unique... foo-UUID might work fine for that but anything short of
> it fails.

Again, this can be dealt with by an error message or dialogue. The
system notices the conflict and reports it: "Partitions x and y have the
same label. Please relabel one of them to proceed." The corner case is
if I remove one hd and replace it with another one with the same label,
but IMHO if I do that it's because I *want* to do it, e.g. replace a
failing drive with a new one, something which is currently hard (or at
least messy) to do using UUIDs.

poc