Very slow password validation

Tomas Mraz tmraz at redhat.com
Tue Aug 5 08:51:15 UTC 2008

On Thu, 2008-07-31 at 20:20 -0400, Jim Cornette wrote:
> Jim Cornette wrote:

> >> Can you strace the process and see where it is waiting? You will have to
> >> attach the strace to the su process from another root shell of course.
> >
> > It appears to be hanging only on the first su - instance. When I logged
> > in one terminal by su - and logged in the second terminal with su to
> > attach, it was fairly quick.
> >
> > If the attachment does not give you a clue, I'll log in a regular root
> > console to attach. See text file attached.
> >
> > Jim
> >

> It looks like time to change the root password :-)

I also didn't ask you to attach the full strace but told you that you
should use it to find out where the process is waiting. :-) But I should
have write a warning that the strace will contain the password so some
testing password should be used.

Also attaching a gdb to the process and printing a backtrace (especially
with relevant -debuginfo) packages can help to find out where the
process is waiting.

--
Tomas Mraz
                                              Turkish proverb