Upgrading to 10alpha

Todd Denniston Todd.Denniston at ssa.crane.navy.mil
Thu Aug 7 14:13:01 UTC 2008

John Summerfield wrote, On 08/07/2008 02:22 AM:
> Chuck Anderson wrote:
>>>>
>>> See below, I need to buy a new drive and clone and retire the
>>> existing  drive. There's no space for a new drive.
>>
>> Well, another solution is "delete 1.7 GB of data".  You could for
>> example remove -devel packages (and definately debuginfo if you have
>> any):
>>
>> yum remove \*-devel \*-debuginfo
> And if my -devel packages are essential?
>>
>> and if that doesn't give enough space, consider temporarily removing
>> some applications to free up enough space to do the update, then put
>> them back after, e.g.:
>>
>> yum groupremove 'Office/Productivity'
>>
>> Check for huge logfiles in /var/log and delete or compress old ones, etc.
>>

> My space vanishes in chunks of several gigabytes; it's chock fill of
> (not very functional) virtual computers.
>
> I'm well-practiced at recovering space; if I need to resort to those
> measures, a new disk drive is cheaper.
>
> The first step in recovering wasted space is to find where it's used.
> Deleting installed software isn't going to recover anything like 1.7
> Gbytes (it's about all of the installed software).

After reading all of the above, I have three possible suggestions:
1) you can
mkdir myempty;cd myempty
yum update oof*
yum clean all
yum update kde*
yum clean all
yum update gn*
yum clean all
yum update
i.e., update the large chunks and then there will be less to update in one chunk.

2)  get a large (bigger than 2GB) USB mass storage device and
mount /dev/myExt[23]FormattedUsbDrive /var/cache/yum
yum update

3) get a really large (bigger than 20 GB) USB mass storage device and
get a mirror of the development repository on it,
modify /etc/yum.repos.d/fedora-updates.repo to point to
baseurl=file:///where/my/big/repo/is/at
and comment (put a # at the begging of the line) the mirrorlist=.
[yum is apparently smart enough to know that if the files are on a file system
it can access, it does not need to copy them before using rpm on them.]
yum update

--
Todd Denniston