Experiences with fedora-10 upgrade

shmuel siegel fedora at shmuelhome.mine.nu
Fri Aug 8 08:28:45 UTC 2008

Upgraded a fedora 9 x86_64 on an AMD 3800 from the alpha dvd. The
upgrade went fairly smoothly except for the following problems

    * Installer reported that it couldn't find the grub boot block and
      advised that I do nothing. Somehow this didn't stop it from
      correctly modifying my /boot partition. I know that it modified it
      and not rewrote it since it kept my name for the windows boot.
    * after some 570 out of 745 modules it tried to update the selinux
      targeted module. This took many minutes with no discernible
      activity. I thought that it had died. There should be some
      indication that it is really doing something at this stage.
    * The kernel install also took a long time but my selinux experience
      gave me the patience to wait it out.
    * After upgrading all of the packages, a message box saying
      "finishing upgrade" started flashing. It wasn't on screen at any
      time for more than a fraction of a second, but kept coming back
      every couple of seconds. Again, looked like something was broken.
    * The reference to the livna repository changed to have a compatible
      version name. But, since the repository is not active, it made yum
      fail.
    * When finished, there were some packages that reported unsatisfied
      dependencies. The most important to me was the nautilus desktop
      patch that enables starting a terminal from a right click.
      Updating the problem packages from rawhide fixed the issues.

In conclusion, I would say that it went fairly well for an alpha
release. But the user experience for selinux definitely needs to be
improved.