Shtt!!

Scott Robbins scottro at nyc.rr.com
Thu Dec 4 01:36:13 UTC 2008

On Thu, Dec 04, 2008 at 09:38:28AM +0900, John Summerfield wrote:

>>> askmethod is a large hammer to use for this situation, though it will
>>> certainly work.  Better just to edit the URLs for the repos in the UI.
>>> Saves you the time/bandwidth of having to download the second stage of
>>> the installer as opposed to just using it off of the cd
>>>
>>> Jeremy
>>
>> Since you can't edit the repos until the initial download of metadata
>> from said repos, it can often be nicer to use the 'repo=uri' boot time
>> option.  This instructs anaconda where to get the packages from, but
>> still allows anaconda to use the local install.img on your boot media.
>
> That assumes one knows it's necessary. It's going to catch a lot of
> other experienced users.

I wonder how difficult it would be (not being a programmer,
I don't know if I'm suggesting something trivial or major,
to have some sort of note during the installation dialog itself, to the
point of if you want to specify your own URL, reboot with askmethod.
(Or the type of note we used to get in installs, saying type text to do
textmode, askmethod to do whatever, etc.)

I repeat, I have no idea if this is easy to do or not.

It's difficult to figure out what are major changes that should be
widely broadcast, and what aren't--the trouble is that we tend, I
suspect, to not think about things *we* don't use.

--
Scott Robbins
PGP keyID EB3467D6

Xander: She must be right. We must have some kind of
amnesia.
Buffy: I don't know what that is, but I'm certain I don't have it. I
bathe quite
often.