Fedora 10 updates-testing report

Scott Doty (personal) scott at ponzo.net
Tue Dec 9 14:47:48 UTC 2008

updates at fedoraproject.org wrote:
> The following builds have been pushed to Fedora 10 updates-testing
>
> [ and so forth ]

Good morning,

I've just had a discussion on Freenode's #fedora, where there seemed to
be a mixed response regarding f10 updates testing.

Specifically, I asked if someone used f10 updates testing, would there
be support for any problems on #fedora -- the response was mixed, with
some folks saying that updates-testing wasn't appropriate for a
production system, and therefore, shouldn't be supported in #fedora.

There was also some confusing talk about how updates-testing was only
appropriate for "development servers", as well as other snarky
statements that were unproductive, and only deserve a passing mention here.

But this raises the question:  Why _wouldn't_ we want to encourage folks
to use updates-testing?  After all, the line between "production" and
"development" is almost never a black/white situation, but instead, a
grayscale.

It almost seems that the attitude with regard to support on Freenode's
#fedora is largely based on trying to answer the question:  "how can we
avoid helping people?"... instead of: "how can we get this person back
up-and-running?".

Also, I'd like to thank folks on that #fedora channel for avoiding snide
or cryptic comments to folks /join'ing the channel
for help...the incidents of this have been much curtailed, leaving only
one or two dinosaurs who haven't discovered yet that
their attitudes are extinct.

Still loving Fedora 10 -- thanks!

 -Scott
aka "vallor" on Freenode