Fedora QA ? - Re: What Fedora makes sucking for me - or why I am NOT Fedora

Sven Lankes sven at lank.es
Tue Dec 9 21:45:34 UTC 2008

On Tue, Dec 09, 2008 at 01:06:58PM +0000, "Jóhann B. Guðmundsson" wrote:

>> Maybe a small gui tool showing the latest testing-updates and allowing
>> to send (positive) bohdi-karma would encourage more people to actually
>> send the karma which in turn would encourage developers to use
>> updates-testing more.

> First of all this falls on to testers...
> Developers should spend their time developing.
> Testers should spend their time testing that's what we are here for.

While I don't buy the black/white developer/tester distinction, I agree
that my email should have been sent to fedora-test-list.

> Secondly a small bodhi voting gui does not cut it.
> Testers need know what to test to ensure that the component behaves as
> it should
> so you need an application that...
> A)  Fetches the test case  for a component and
> B)  Has the ability to log in and vote in bodhi.

Yeah - in an ideal world that would be needed.

But lets face it: There isn't a lot of positive karma given on bohdi
currently (corret me if I'm wrong - but that is my impression). Now if
everyone who has updates-testing active would give positive kama for an
update of an application that he/she actually uses this would be a big
win for the process. And this - in my view - does not mean "I have
tested it according to test-cases x,y,z" but it does mean "I have used
the application for what I usually use it for and it still does what it
used to do".

if we are going to end up with too many +1s too fast we can always
tune the automatic push at +3 accordingly.

> I suppose I can add that to my TODO list since i'm going to developer
> ( and hopefully others as well ) the "Fedora-Bug-Reporting" application

Don't get me wrong here - having such an app available sounds sounds
like a very good idea but having testcases for all fedora packages
doesn't sound very likely - at least not within the next 25-30 releases
;)

sven === jabber/xmpp: sven at lankes.net