Fedora 10 updates-testing report

Kevin Fenzi kevin at scrye.com
Wed Dec 10 17:01:49 UTC 2008

On Tue, 09 Dec 2008 06:47:48 -0800
scott at ponzo.net ("Scott Doty (personal)") wrote:

> updates at fedoraproject.org wrote:
> > The following builds have been pushed to Fedora 10 updates-testing
> >
> > [ and so forth ]
>
> Good morning,
>
> I've just had a discussion on Freenode's #fedora, where there seemed
> to be a mixed response regarding f10 updates testing.

Well, in any channel with ~500 people you are likely to get varied
it's impossible to find out what solves the issue.

> Specifically, I asked if someone used f10 updates testing, would
> there be support for any problems on #fedora -- the response was
> mixed, with some folks saying that updates-testing wasn't appropriate
> for a production system, and therefore, shouldn't be supported in
> #fedora.

Right, for policy issues, you shouldn't just ask the random sampling of
people active in channel at the time. ;) Ask in the irc support
meetings on thursday mornings at 16:30UTC, or ask in #fedora-ops.

...snip...

> It almost seems that the attitude with regard to support on
> Freenode's #fedora is largely based on trying to answer the
> question:  "how can we avoid helping people?"... instead of: "how can
> we get this person back up-and-running?".

From looking at Scott's response to this email, it sounds to me like
there was one person who was being unhelpfull. Sorry about that, but
that is not the entire channel. Please don't generalize.

> Also, I'd like to thank folks on that #fedora channel for avoiding
> snide or cryptic comments to folks /join'ing the channel
> for help...the incidents of this have been much curtailed, leaving
> only one or two dinosaurs who haven't discovered yet that
> their attitudes are extinct.
>
> Still loving Fedora 10 -- thanks!

Glad to hear it.

>  -Scott