Where has the F10 DVD iso file gone?

Chris Adams cmadams at hiwaay.net
Wed Dec 31 02:34:09 UTC 2008

Once upon a time, Lawrence E. Graves <lgraves at risingstarmbc.com> said:
> John, strange you should say that.  A few days ago, I asked a friend of
> mine that same question.  I personally think that whenever there are
> updates to Fedora 10 after you have installed it, there should
> automatically be an undated ISO.  When the need arises, there will
> always be a fresh version of Fedora 10.  I don't know what's all
> involved in the making of an iso, but it sound feasible.

That certainly isn't feasible.  There are updates almost every day,
especially for the first couple of months after release.  Ignoring the
actual work involved in spinning a release, even if you just respin the
DVD ISO and not the CDs or LiveCDs, and only for the binaries and not
the sources, that would be almost 12G of daily churn (plus the actual
updates) on the mirrors.  Torrents wouldn't help with only a 24 hour
"shelf life".

It also makes debugging somebody's install problems virtually
impossible, since you have no idea what release-of-the-day they are
using.

--
Chris Adams <cmadams at hiwaay.net>