Where has the F10 DVD iso file gone?

Chris Adams cmadams at hiwaay.net
Wed Dec 31 05:10:16 UTC 2008

Once upon a time, Lawrence E. Graves <lgraves at risingstarmbc.com> said:
> There's no need to be nasty, I very new at this and had no idea what's
> involve (as I mentioned before) in the making of an ISO.

I wasn't trying to be nasty, just trying to explain why it wasn't
feasible to do what you said.  Making the ISO is just one part of the
problem; actually distributing it is a lot of work as well.  I run a
Fedora mirror, and a lot goes on behind the scenes to make it
(relatively anyway) easy to access Fedora.

> One day if I
> keep at it I will be as good as you profess to be.

No need to be rude.  I certainly don't have all the answers.

The only way I think something like this could be feasible (from a
"getting the bits out there" point of view anyway) would be to update
only the jigdo files (and still maybe only for the binary DVDs).  That
doesn't remove the work required to generate the release (because the
DVDs still have to be generated to generate the jigdo files), and
doesn't solve the problem of debugging random installs though.

Years ago, when Red Hat Linux was still one CD (RHL 4.x days?), I had a
private mirror that did regenerate the CD image after downloading
updates each day.  Even with such limited use, I occasionally ran into
install issues that went away if I installed from a "pristine" CD and
loaded updates.

--
Chris Adams <cmadams at hiwaay.net>