Announcing Fedora 9 Alpha

Jesse Keating jkeating at redhat.com
Tue Feb 5 15:25:25 UTC 2008

A funny thing happened on the way into the office today, an Alpha
release of Fedora 9 happened!

The Alpha release provides the first opportunity for the wider
community to become involved with the testing of Rawhide: representing
a sanitised snapshot of Fedora's development branch, which sees rapid
changes and will become the next major release, it should boot on the
majority of systems, providing both an opportunity to get a look at
what new features will be included in the next release and also an
opportunity to provide feedback and bug reports to help ensure that the
next release is as good as possible.

Some highlights of Fedora 9 Alpha:

 * GNOME 2.21 Development Release
 * KDE 4.0
 * Firefox 3 Beta 2
 * Support for resizing ext2, ext3 and NTFS partitions during install
 * Support for creating and installing to encrypted filesystems
 * PackageKit
 * Kernel 2.6.24

And numerous other improvements and enhancements.

Getting it:
==========

The Alpha release is available both through our mirroring system and
via bittorrent.

For direct http access to a local mirror:
http://download.fedoraproject.org/pub/fedora/linux/releases/test/9-Alpha/

For a list of mirrors carrying the content and the various protocols
they support:
http://mirrors.fedoraproject.org/publiclist/Fedora/9-Alpha/

For bittorrent:
http://torrent.fedoraproject.org/

More Information:

For more information regarding the Alpha release, please visit the
release notes page:
http://fedoraproject.org/wiki/Releases/9/Alpha/ReleaseNotes

--
Jesse Keating