xinit issue on vmware x86_64

Jim Cornette fct-cornette at insight.rr.com
Sat Feb 16 02:07:16 UTC 2008

Will Woods wrote:
> On Thu, 2008-02-14 at 07:02 -0500, Jim Cornette wrote:
>> Andrew Farris wrote:
>>> After update of xorg-x11-xinit and a number of other packages today I'm
>>> seeing X  respawning too quickly and fails to start via gdm.  Things
>>> seem to be working (albeight very slowly, much more so than normal) when
>>> I startx as a normal user.
>>>
>>> xorg-x11-xinit-1.0.7-5.fc9.x86_64
>>>
>>> I'm not sure yet what is responsible just noting what changed.
>>>
>>> I see warnings in Xorg.0.log regarding acpi which I'll post shortly.
>>> This is running the new kernel today and the previous (2.6.24.1-28 and
>>> 2.6.24.1-31).
>>>
>> GDM loads, crashes and respawns in a forever loop with the current
>> version gdm-2.21.7-1.fc9.i386 installed. X starts fine from runlevel 3.
>> Runlevel 5 is currently ruinlevel 5.
>
> Pretty sure this is due to the SELinux updates, not xorg-x11-xinit or
> gdm.
>
> Try booting with enforcing=0 (or switching back to runlevel 5 after
> running "setenforce 0". Worked for me.
>
> I mentioned this on the (draft!) rawhide status page:
> http://wwoods.fedorapeople.org/rawhide.html
>
> -w

Booting with enforcing=0 still left gdm respawning again and again. I
booted in runlevel 3 after trying runlevel 5 with enforcing=0 with no
problems.
Its better to have a busted gdm than X, the kernel or a critical service
failing.

Its an xi386 problem anyway and not related to vmware or x86_64. I guess
it is off topic.

Jim