mac mini booting f8 off of flash drive

Jeremy Katz katzj at redhat.com
Sun Feb 17 19:19:33 UTC 2008

On Fri, 2008-02-15 at 13:51 -0600, Benjamin Kosnik wrote:
> So, all clear. Next step: I transfer this iso image to usb key via the
> above link.
>
> This works on the non-mac computers, but not on the mac. On the mac,
> it's not listed as a boot device when I restart with alt.

Sadly, the Intel-based Macs don't really support booting off of USB
devices very well.  At least, not USB devices that are set up with an
MS-DOS partition table and a "legacy" bootloader.  You're probably in
for a world of pain while learning more about EFI than you ever wanted
to know to make this work :-/

Jeremy