slow sudo /bin/su response

Andrew Farris lordmorgul at gmail.com
Tue Feb 19 05:04:10 UTC 2008

Hey all,
I have a little issue with login from a normal user to root being very slow when
I use sudo.  When I do not use sudo its very quick.

 > sudo /bin/su -
(20-30 second delay before login)

 > /bin/su -
(2-4 second delay)

This has been a problem for the last 3 days I think; it definitely is not just a
random cpu load issue or something like that.  The machine is a VMware guest on
a core 2 duo macbook.  I don't have this happening on my desktop.

Any ideas how to look into this?  I see nothing really abnormal in
/var/log/{secure,messages}

This happens with a brand new user just added to sudo as well as my normal user,
so unsure what the deal is.  On both systems root has the same environment
(custom bashrc and ps1) so that doesn't seem like the reason.  It happens if I
remove all of roots environment too (so default /etc/bashrc being used).

The sudo command pauses after entering the password (or right after giving the
command if you recently gave the password).  While trying to login I also notice
hal-acl-tool running with a significant cpu usage (up and down to 20% or so).

/usr/libexec/hal-acl-tool --reconfigure