F9alpha and KDE4

John Summerfield debian at herakles.homelinux.org
Wed Feb 27 23:47:17 UTC 2008

On Tue, 2008-02-26 at 07:26 +0000, Kevin Kofler wrote:
> John Summerfield <debian <at> herakles.homelinux.org> writes:
> > I use Konsole a lot.I have a white background as I find that easier to
> > use. KDE4 thinks I want black so I don't need to bother reading it.
>
> Konsole has a different way to handle color schemes now, apparently they forgot
> to provide some migration (kconf_update) code. :-(
>
> You can set a color scheme in the preferences.
>
> > I generally have taskbar never group, and only display the current
> > desktop. Can't see how to get KDE4 to do that.
>
> That's implemented at least in the trunk (future 4.1), probably also in 4.0.2
> (but I haven't checked).

I fairly regularly have 15 or so fairly cluttered desktops (I'm
wondering whether I should add 2 Gbytes RAM to my Pentium IV system),
limiting to the current window is fairly important.

> > I really do not like the new applications menu. I can't find stuff I
> > want, such as control-centre (so I can fix the settings), Firefox, the
> > office software I think is there and so on. I've spent an hour or two on it.
>
> There's an old-style menu available. In the desktop toolbox (the cashew nut
> icon at the top right of the screen), choose "Add applet" and
> drag "Applications Launcher Menu" (as opposed to just "Applications Launcher",
> which is the new-style Kickoff) to the panel, and delete the Kickoff button. (I
> wonder if that shouldn't be the default. I don't like the new-style Kickoff
> menu either.)

Please do make the change. If I had 10,000 users I'd really not want
them to waste hours each trying to figure it out, and while training
might mitigate the problem, it's not a problem I'd want to have.

An objection I've long had with Gnome is that where a thing can be done
in two or more different ways it doesn't do things the established way
(I'm thinking here of the ordering of buttons on dialogues). Now KDE has
invented a new way of presenting a menu; it's different from Windows,
from OS X (which I don't like either), it's different from Gnome and
it's different from earlier KDE.

It _is_ somewhat like our new scanner (which runs Windows), but there
one should be able to navigate the (very basic) menu by finger-presses
on the screen.

--
John