Re: named: unrecognized service?

Michael Schwendt wrote:
On Tue, 08 Jan 2008 07:46:03 +0900, John Summerfield wrote:

Michael Schwendt wrote:
On Mon, 07 Jan 2008 07:46:51 -0500, Neal Becker wrote:

Something a bit strange here (this is F8 with all updates):

/sbin/service named status
named: unrecognized service

sudo /sbin/chkconfig named --list
named           0:off   1:off   2:on    3:on    4:on    5:on    6:off
Don't stop there yet. Does /etc/init.d/named exist? Is the
Oh, Michael Michael

chkconfig doesn't find it if it doesn't exist.

Without testing (or fetching and reading the source as it is a binary not
a script) I was unable to tell when and how it examines the files and
symlinks and to what extend it strictly needs a chkconfig-specific header
in the initscript. And even when testing with a non-existant "blah"
service, maybe chkconfig would have given different results only when
finding run-level symlinks.

I wanted Neal to dig a little deeper and find the problem himself. My
small set of questions lead to enough details to locate the problem.

That's fine, and I try to do that too, but you did make an assumption (that he wasn't root) without any evidence to support it.

Me, I ran chkconfig to see what it did.

--

Cheers
John