ati driver completely dead for new server

I had trouble with the latest driver for ati and had to go back to an earlier version for X to work fair. The driver stuck in a loop and was unusable. Now with the new server, the old driver no longer works. The broken newer driver doesn't even recognize the screen so the loop problem is fixed in an unconventional way.
When will there be a working ati driver again?
I'm currently having to use the vesa driver so 3D an dvd playing is not possible. xorg-x11-drv-ati-6.7.196-2.fc9.i386 was the last driver on the reservation that worked. Now they are all gone.

Jim

--
Due to the CDA, we no longer have a root account.