DRAFT Fedora 9 Installation Test Plan

James Laska jlaska at redhat.com
Thu Jan 17 19:05:12 UTC 2008

John Poelstra wrote:
> James Laska said the following on 01/17/2008 05:52 AM Pacific Time:
>> Greetings folks,
>>
>> I wanted to thank folks who joined the fun at our Friday hackfest
>> session @ FUDCON.  There were a lot of great ideas for how best to
>> flesh out the test plan.
>>
>> The test plan is under development at
>> http://fedoraproject.org/wiki/QA/TestPlans/Fedora9Install [1]
>>

> How much of this testplan are we planning to execute on the Fedora 9
> Alpha?  I think it would be good to have a portion of it ready by then.

We could potentially slice and dice this a few ways.  One way to view
the tests would be by milestone (alpha, beta, RC etc..).  In section
"Test Pass/Fail Criteria"
(http://fedoraproject.org/wiki/QA/TestPlans/Fedora9Install#head-fe8bc4554801c1b99ceb2f2b3f508a3f4bd16fcf)
I've attempted to outline how the test results will be evaluated at the
different F9 milestones.  For example, for the Alpha ...

> Entrance criteria have been met
> All tier#1 tests have been executed

That might be a bit aggressive ... but no better way to tell than trying
it.  A big outstanding piece is to define what tier#1 includes.

How do folks feel about ...

Tier#1
* Install Source / URL
* Install Source / NFS
* Install Source / NFS ISO
* Install Source / DVD
* Package Sets / Default Package Install
* Package Sets / Minimal Package Install
* Partitioning / ext3 on native device
* Partitioning / rootfs on LVM device
* Partitioning / rootfs on RAID1 (not sure about this one)
* User Interface / Graphical Installation
* User Interface / Text-mode Installation
* User Interface / VNC Installation

The intent is that the tier#1 test results provide a 10,000 ft view of
how usable a given tree is.  From there we might dive deeper involving
specific hardware setups and complex environments.

 > I think it would be good to have a portion of it ready by then.

Good call John, I agree.

Thanks,
James

  James Laska         -- jlaska at redhat.com