yum update in rawhide after a long break [was Re: rawhide report: 20080114 changes]

Todd Denniston Todd.Denniston at ssa.crane.navy.mil
Thu Jan 24 01:38:35 UTC 2008

Jim Cornette wrote, On 01/14/2008 06:07 PM:
> Todd Denniston wrote:
>

>> 2) to get an F8 machine[1] on to rawhide do I just need to disable the
>> yum entries for fedora & updates, and then enable development, then do
>> a yum update?n
>
> You may need to do this upgrade incremental. Also make sure that you are
> running yum from a virtual terminal instead of through a terminal in the
> GUI. Chances are that X will crash and yum will have left a mess in the
> aftermath.
> I prefer to upgrade the glibc items first and then everything
> incrementally except do not update the kernel until the later portion of
> the update.

I have a propensity to `yum update yum* rpm* cpio gpg` before I update much
else on the system...
That bit me this time.

error follows:
There was a problem importing one of the Python modules
required to run yum. The error leading to this problem was:

    /usr/lib/python2.5/site-packages/_sqlitecache.so: undefined symbol:
g_assertion_message_expr

Please install a package which provides this module, or
verify that the module is installed correctly.

It's possible that the above module doesn't match the
current version of Python, which is:
2.5.1 (r251:54863, Oct 30 2007, 13:54:11)
[GCC 4.1.2 20070925 (Red Hat 4.1.2-33)]

apparently the yum-3.2.8-2.fc9 rpm set got something wrong.

so it looks like I am going to be doing an `rpm -Fvh *` in my Rawhide mirror,
updating openssl just pulls in too many dependencies.... and after that failed
... a little googleing ended up at:
http://www.fedoraforum.org/forum/showthread.php?t=178870
by pulling the _sqlitecache.so (and just that file) from a
yum-metadata-parser-1.1.2-1.fc8.i386.rpm, at least lets yum try to update 731
packages. [It looks like it may have worked, but <deity> only knows how much
on the raw side of rawhide the machine is now.]

the yum-metadata-parser-1.1.2-5.fc9.i386.rpm must then be the package with the
problem.???

while update was running I was seeing lines like
I/O warning: failed to load external entity
"/etc/gconf/schemas/gdm-simple-greeter.schemas"
next line indicates No such file or directory.
(and most of them seemed to be gconf related... to bad I did not log the
update with errors to a file.)

so anyone got any good suggestions to figure out what is likely broken besides
running (and running every package on the system)
package-cleanup --problems
#indicates glibc requires glibc-common-2.7-2 and 2.7.90-4 is installed
rpm -qa --last|grep glibc # shows glibc-2.7-2 and glibc-2.7.90-4 installed
any clean way to clean THAT up, or am I back to installing 7.92 and carefully
updating from there (no http to new rawhide iso's)? assuming that an rpm -e on
any glibc is a badddd thing.

package-cleanup --dupes
and
package-cleanup --orphans