nv driver and gnome broken

Adam Jackson ajackson at redhat.com
Thu Jan 24 17:20:19 UTC 2008

On Thu, 2008-01-24 at 08:38 -0800, David Mack wrote:
> Yes, the nv driver is back up. However, X is still nonfunctional. I get
> the stippled gray background and an "X" cursor and nothing else:
>
>  AUDIT: Thu Jan 24 08:35:17 2008: 2846 X: client 1 rejected from local
> host ( uid
> =0 gid=0 pid=2845 )
>   Auth name: XDM-AUTHORIZATION-1 ID: -1

What process is 2845 when this happens?

How are you starting X?  What's the command line shown by 'ps auwx |
grep X' ?  If an authority file is listed on the command line, does it
contain a valid cookie for that server, and is it the same one as your
clients are using?

You can check the contents of an authority file by doing:

% XAUTHORITY=/path/to/whatever xauth list

- ajax