three days with rawhide

Valent Turkovic valent.turkovic at gmail.com
Sat Jan 26 13:57:36 UTC 2008

Hi,
I installed a fresh rawhide via network install and here my, rather
positive reactions to rawhide, offcourse there are rough edges but that
will hopefully get fixed in coming weeks...

I liked the new Firefox 3 and it works great, KDE4 also works as
expected of .0 release. New gdm seams nice, but needs some polish (why
is there a guest account on gdm?), PackageKit look great! just still
crashes a lot (expected I guess),

Obvious issues I came across:
- can't reboot or shutdown from gnome dekstop - logout is the only option
- gdm has shutdown and reboot buttons but they don't work, had to use
command line "poweroff" to shutdown the laptop
- swfdec plugin for flash doesn't work for videos but only for flash ads
and banners
- audio clicks loudly once on gnome load (probably my hardware issue,
not something others will probably see)
- kde bar not in the bottom of screen but in the "middle". I use
external monitor for laptop. laptop has 1280x800 and lcd had 1280x1024
but kde4 "sees" only the lcd and positions it's bar ok for lcd screen
but on external monitor it looks silly - so the bar is almost in the
middle of the screen lcd.

Nothing of this is in bz but if somebody suggest that it needs to be
I'll put it there.

Valent.