obscure behaviour with local mirror for rawhide

G.Wolfe Woodbury ggw at wolves.durham.nc.us
Fri Jul 4 14:45:10 UTC 2008

I have a local NFS and HTTP mirror of rawhide (rsync from kernel.org)
that I use on my test i686 box for installs and updates.

Lately I am seeing an unusual behaviour with respect to using the local
mirror in conjunction with the "standard" mirrorlist configuration.

In "fedora-rawhide.repo" I install the local mirror as a "file://" entry
and leave mirrorlist enabled.  (The mirror is uptodate and properly
mounted via NFS to the machine in question.)

The "Update System" process uses the local mirror to get headers and
resolve dependencies (evidence: no activity on the internet connection
via a router/switch during that phase of update process)

However, after dependency resolution, the system goes to the internet to
download the packages and seems to ignore the local repo. (Evidence: it
takes time to download each file and the internet gateway is showing
appropriate activity for each file downloaded.)

If I disable the "mirrorlist" in an attempt to force all local activity,
the system gives up on loading filelist2.sqlite.bz2 and reports no more
mirrors available for several files that *are* on the local repository.

This is new behaviour in rawhide, as the local F9 repository works fine
without going to the internet.

Also, rawhide installs from the local repo also work fine without going
to the internet, it is only the update process with PackageKit that
forces internet traffic.  pure Yum transactions for single packages do
not seem to seek on the internet (e.g. yum install yum-fastestmirror
uses the local repo.)

1) can anyone shed light on why it requires the internet mirrors?

2) should I file a BZ against yum or PackageKit?

--
G.Wolfe Woodbury