obscure behaviour with local mirror for rawhide

seth vidal skvidal at fedoraproject.org
Mon Jul 7 14:06:15 UTC 2008

On Fri, 2008-07-04 at 10:45 -0400, G.Wolfe Woodbury wrote:
> I have a local NFS and HTTP mirror of rawhide (rsync from kernel.org)
> that I use on my test i686 box for installs and updates.
>
> Lately I am seeing an unusual behaviour with respect to using the local
> mirror in conjunction with the "standard" mirrorlist configuration.
>
> In "fedora-rawhide.repo" I install the local mirror as a "file://" entry
> and leave mirrorlist enabled.  (The mirror is uptodate and properly
> mounted via NFS to the machine in question.)
>
> The "Update System" process uses the local mirror to get headers and
> resolve dependencies (evidence: no activity on the internet connection
> via a router/switch during that phase of update process)
>
> However, after dependency resolution, the system goes to the internet to
> download the packages and seems to ignore the local repo. (Evidence: it
> takes time to download each file and the internet gateway is showing
> appropriate activity for each file downloaded.)
>
> If I disable the "mirrorlist" in an attempt to force all local activity,
> the system gives up on loading filelist2.sqlite.bz2 and reports no more
> mirrors available for several files that *are* on the local repository.

Then likely the local mirror's metadata is not properly in sync with
what yum thinks it has. Which is why it switching above. You may not be
seeing the mirror switch but it's doing it.

Try grabbing this
http://skvidal.fedorapeople.org/misc/verifytree.py

and running it against your local mirror to see if it is consistent.

thanks,
-sv