Problems with firefox continue?

Marc Schwartz marc_schwartz at comcast.net
Mon Jul 21 13:43:04 UTC 2008

"Paul W. Frields" <stickster at gmail.com> writes:

>> > But you are still trying to install two different versions of
>> > xulrunner:
>> >
>> > Chances are that something wants older gecko-libs than those
>> > provided by xulrunner-1.9.0.1-1.fc9 and that is why xulrunner.i386
>> > comes into play with all its dependencies. I have seen that
>> > previously on F9 and with a "forgotten" missing update to
>> > nspluginwrapper (currently repos should be ok).  What is amiss in
>> > your case I am not sure.
>>
>> Ah, good catch. After a 'yum remove xulrunner' to give me a list of
>> what I had that depends on it. Removing a few packages got me to the
>> culprit. The offender was
>>
>> gnome-python2-gtkmozembed-2.19.1-16.fc9
>>
>> It seems that it wasn't a further dependency for anything else so I've
>> just removed it. Could someone push a rebuild on it.
>
> Already done:
> https://admin.fedoraproject.org/updates/F9/pending/Miro-1.2.4-2.fc9,gnome-python2-extras-2.19.1-17.fc9
>
> It would be helpful if people would try these out and give the
> appropriate +1 vote in bodhi if they suffice.

Done.

So this raises the next logical question. How do the procedures for
building packages need to change to minimize the likelihood of this
happening again? This is not the first time the issue of missed
dependencies in the rush to release a package has precluded updates from
being installed. As someone else noted, it does no good to rush a
security update to the repos if it cannot be installed.

You are likely familiar with the colloquial definition of "insanity"?

"Doing the same thing, the same way, over and over again, while
expecting a different outcome each time"

If you don't change the process, you don't change the outcome. That's
the foundation of continuous quality improvement and good manufacturing
practices.

Regards,

Marc Schwartz