How can we speed up rpm downloads?

John Summerfield debian at herakles.homelinux.org
Mon Jun 16 00:14:25 UTC 2008

cornel panceac wrote:
> 2008/6/13 seth vidal <skvidal at fedoraproject.org>:
>
>> On Thu, 2008-06-12 at 22:18 +0300, cornel panceac wrote:
>>> parallel downloads is the answer imho. ( or at least one of the
>>> answers :) )
>> Parallel downloads crush a lot of network connections. Dial up is one in
>> particular.
>

> i see. this happens only on slow connections?

I can download stuff from my local IAP, one one connexion, at 1.2-1.7
Mbytes/sec.

I wouldn't expect two network connexions to download noticeably faster,
but it would increase latency at my end: I can only receive one packet
at a time.

I _might_ do better if I use parallel downloads from more servers, but I
figure if I do that I make things worse at the server and on the network
between. Besides, I _know_ some public ftp (and rsync) server operators
object to parallel connexions from a single IP address. I don't need to
be banned for 24 hours.

--

Cheers
John