What is rawhide for?

Frank Murphy frankly3d at gmail.com
Tue Jun 17 14:29:22 UTC 2008

On Mon, 2008-06-16 at 10:16 -0400, John Poelstra wrote:
> Rawhide serves several purposes in Fedora and yet I don't think we
> clearly delineate what they are.
> Take a step back and consider what a strange testing target rawhide is:

Rawhide is a good place (along with update-testing) to check the
progress of bugs oneself has submitted.

6) The community at large
> seems to focus more on the Alpha, Beta, and Preview releases as
> evidenced by spikes in traffic on fedora-test-list after these releases.

It's tangible you can put your hands on it,
and run it (livecd) without damaging stable system.
Which for most users is a good thing.

> 7) We consider rawhide our primary testing target yet there is no
> practical way to create a test matrix around it because it changes every
> day.  Instead we create test matrices for the Alpha, Beta, and Preview
> releases which..... see the previous point.  How do we know when we have
> completed a full test run?  How can you thoroughly test a moving target?

Maybe reduce rawhide release(s) to weekly and date?
eg: yum-3.2.16-2.fc9.061608.noarch.rpm

So more testing can be accomplished

Frank