What is rawhide for?

Jesse Keating jkeating at j2solutions.net
Tue Jun 17 14:44:56 UTC 2008

On Tue, Jun 17, 2008 at 10:29 AM, Frank Murphy <frankly3d at gmail.com> wrote:

> Maybe reduce rawhide release(s) to weekly and date?
> eg: yum-3.2.16-2.fc9.061608.noarch.rpm
>
> So more testing can be accomplished

That unfortunately increases the amount of delay before new fixes can be
brought in, which is the other side of the coin.  The plain problem is that
the Fedora package set is /huge/, and I don't think there is any reasonable
way we can try to coordinate all the various pieces of it into a cohesive
testable unit outside of the major effort that goes into our
alpha/beta/prerelease parts, and even that doesn't get the whole thing.

I don't disagree that this is a tough problem, or that there is even a
problem here.  I just don't know of a good way to solve this problem that
doesn't introduce lots of others, such as the above mentioned lag on getting
fixes into the hands of the masses.

I've always felt that the alpha/beta/pre releases provide good well known
starting points for the Rawhide adventure.  You can be reasonably certain
that those points will install on your system.  From there you can update
yourself in part or in whole to Rawhide de jour in order to verify operation
of a particular piece of software or subsystem.  It is true that bugs
contained within the alpha/beta don't really matter much past the rawhide
day that these were snapshot from.  If the bug persists into the current
rawhide version of the given package then it does matter, but there is often
a chance that it's been fixed along the way.

Anyway, I'd love to have more of this discussion sometime around FUDCon, and
more on list too.

--
Jes