Fedora 9 On Laptop battery

Tom tbrinkman at sbcglobal.net
Wed Jun 25 22:21:50 UTC 2008

On Wednesday 25 June 2008 04:29:50 pm Fastie wrote:
> Thanks I am sending this right away..
> May be a thing we can look into on F10
> Chris
>
> On Thu, Jun 26, 2008 at 9:25 AM, Andrew Farris <lordmorgul at gmail.com> wrote:
> > Fastie wrote:
> >> Hi
> >>
> >> I have been working on Fedora since Core 6, and found that now I've
> >> moved i've had to start using my battery more on my laptop than I used
> >> to. So my battery just doesn't last. I  got myself a replacement
> >> thinking that my battery is dead but still had the same result.
> >> I am running an HP NC6320 laptop with nothing extra (clean install). My
> >> brightness is on the lowest setting.
> >> I went through my services and stopped all the ones I don't need and
> >> installed powertop and did what it told me to do, (but it is not
> >> permanent for one).
> >> According to HP my battery should last about 4 hours, however I only get
> >> about 1.5 hours if I am lucky. I have to say when I was testing this on
> >> Windows I did not get 4 hours as HP say but got about 3 hours. So
> >> running Fedora cut my battery time in half.
> >> One thing I did see on powertop is that my "Wakeups-from-idle per
> >> second" is
> >> running at "669.1    interval: 10.0s", this looks high. How do you
> >> reduce this?
> >> Is there anything else I can do to get more battery power out of it?
> >>
> >> Thanks
> >> Chris
> >
> > Since noone jumped on this message right away, you might want to resend
> > it to the fedora-laptop-list where an issue like this might get better
> > attention.  I only run Fedora in virtual machines on my macbook (where
> > osx is effectively still handling the power management), so I can't make
> > any suggestions that would really help.

    Thanks, sub'd, hadn't even occurred to me an I had a laptop for a year
now. FWIW, T61, all Intel, 4 hours bat (when the power goes out). But that's
with a 9cell optional bat.  Goes to dim screen anytime it's not plug'd in.
Which is almost always.  Other than that, an my external router/modem (ATU-R)
are on my old UPS/line power, bat time is about 4 hrs.  Longest it ever took
CC to get the power back on. Recently, when a truck took down a pole.
--
    Tom Brinkman                     Corpus Christi, Texas