Bug Triage: Call for Action (and a meeting)

John Poelstra poelstra at redhat.com
Mon Jun 30 21:50:50 UTC 2008

Greetings Bug Triagers,

Thanks to those of you that came to the bug triage session at FUDCon a
couple of Saturdays back.  Hopefully it was helpful and you'd still like
to join us.  Things have gotten slightly better here
http://tinyurl.com/4cavl2 but we still need your help!

Our weekly bug triage meeting hasn't happened for several weeks and we'd
like to resume them again.  Some of us were tied up with other things
and some people were unable to make the time.  Also after having a few
meetings with one or two people it seemed unclear how best to proceed.

So.... we know there are a lot of people interested in bug triage but
past meeting attendance hasn't been  good so we'd like to try and fix
that.  At least two or three people sign up for the 'fedorabugs' group
every day so there is a disconnect there somewhere we need to fix.  And
if you think weekly meetings aren't the way to go and there is a better
way to proceed please put it forward.

ITEM #1
I've created a matrix on this page
https://fedoraproject.org/wiki/BugZappers/Meetings/Scheduler to help
figure out a good time for people.  PLEASE add your IRC nick or initials
to the best slots that work for you.

I'm hoping we can gather together a core group of people that will meet
each week to talk about bug triage, ways to improve process, and tools
to make it easier.

ITEM #2
I've raised this idea a couple of times now (and generally been shot
down), but since there has been little to no uptake in recent triage
related post I'm going to keep trying :)  We made the decision back in
January to keep triage stuff on fedora-test-list because we wanted the
benefit of a larger audience of people that might be interested in
helping with bug triage.  HOWEVER, I'm wondering if the "testing"
audience and that "triage" audience really aren't the same and as a
result we are directing new bug triage folks to sign up for
fedora-test-list where they receive 200 emails a week where only a small
handful of them are related to bug triage.

Would there be better response to "bug triage related posts" if they
were sent to a bug triage list only, and thus a very targeted audience
of people interested in bug triage?

ITEM #3
It is completely possible that items #1 and #2 are completely
misdirected and that instead we should do ______________(you tell us).
I'm simply writing this message because somehow we need to find a way to
gather a core group of people around bug triage who can consistently
work on bug triage, collaborate, and make Fedora better together by
making sure our package maintainers have good bug reports to work with.
  In doing so I believe we can encourage others to join in too.

Thanks for reading!
John