cannot update to latest, how should I proceed to apply updates

Robert P. J. Day rpjday at crashcourse.ca
Tue Mar 4 11:45:36 UTC 2008

On Tue, 4 Mar 2008, Robert P. J. Day wrote:

> On Tue, 4 Mar 2008, Andrew Farris wrote:
>
> > Robert P. J. Day wrote:

> > > argh.  i just checked the development repos for both i386 and x86_64,
> > > and they both now have a newer version (".2") of libsmbios, which
> > > allegedly handles obsoletes correctly.  so i remove the cached earlier
> > > libsmbios package (".1") from my x86_64 system, run "yum update", and
> > > yum is *still* downloading and trying to install the earlier (wrong)
> > > version.
> > >
> > > grrrrrrr ......
> >
> > You're probably fetching from a different mirror than you're looking
> > at in your browser.
>
> i assumed as much, so i modified the yum repo file and uncommented
> the baseurl and commented the mirrorlist to force the issue, and now
> it seems to have figured things out.  downloading the new packages
> as we speak ...

ok, that seems to have done the trick.  to summarize, then:

1) the main fedora development repos appear to now have updated RPMs
   for libsmbios that handle the obsoletes properly

2) some of the mirrors are still sitting on the older RPMs, so a quick
   and workable solution is to just edit the yum repos file to force
   yum to the main repo at download.fedora.redhat.com (i assume that,
   within a day, even that won't be necessary)

3) delete the older package files from /var/cache/yum if they're there

4) "yum update"

  at the moment, the massive update of 1300+ packages is in progress.

rday

Robert P. J. Day
    Have classroom, will lecture.