Bug report: the other side

Andrew Farris lordmorgul at gmail.com
Mon Mar 10 06:55:52 UTC 2008

John Summerfield wrote:
> Arne Chr. Jorgensen wrote:
>> While I worked with supply of info requested from me,  I included a
>> question
>> of the opinion from the person working on the case.  Haven't received
>> anything
>> yet,  but pass the question here, as I got the impression that some of
>> you
>> have spent some time on the other side of the desk.
>>
>> Perhaps some would be willing to write a few words about how that is.
>> It probably difficult, as - like in my own case - the better info I
>> supply, the
>> easier it will be for the person handling the case.

> Remember you have the only eyes on the problem. It's really important
> you try to solve the problem yourself. If I can't see that you have
> tried, I will still ignore you. Unless your subject line looks like
> something interesting to me, and over time the number of fresh new
> problems has diminished somewhat.

I think this is a really important point.  Better information supplied at the
first attempt can make a very big difference, and its well worth the extra 5
minutes it could take to gather a few details.

When you send an email to a list, post a bug report, or post to a forum, there
is significant lag time before someone able to help solve the issue even sees
the post.  If they need to ask a simple question right away, that really impacts
things.  If you include what info you can find out by yourself, the real
solution to the problem may be the first feedback you get, ultimately saving you
AND the others on the list time.

Anything that you can add to a bug report should be added, even if you think it
is probably not very useful.  Backtraces, error output, versions of packages
(both for the package with the bug and other packages it depends on, has extra
features from, etc).  For instance reporting a bug with a sound player, the
report should include the kernel, audio subsystem (pulse, oss, arts), and other
major libraries (gstreamer, mono, the decode library in use).

I'm certainly guilty of reporting bugs with half the info I just suggested.. but
reporting them does take a very real effort.  Sometimes its better to report one
or two bugs as well as possible than it is to report the 10-20 bugs you just
noticed with useless, unsolvable reports that will sit as NEW for a year.