Repost: bug report: the other side

Jon Stanley jonstanley at gmail.com
Mon Mar 10 15:47:27 UTC 2008

On Mon, Mar 10, 2008 at 11:09 AM, Arne Chr. Jorgensen
<achrisjo at yahoo.com> wrote:

> What I had in mind with my question, had to do with how things work at other
> side of the curtain.
>
> 1. How does the system appear to them ?  For example, are they presented
> with
> the same interface and form as I see on my side.

Same interface, maybe a few more options for setting states like
NEEDINFO, etc.  There are alternative interfaces to use for finding,
like RSS, etc as well if that's what works for you, but the majority
of work happens through the web interface.

> 2. What do they have at their disposal ? A bunch of machines with all sorts
> of installed platform versions ? Virtual machines ?

Depends on who gets it.  As a triager, I have a variety of machines
available for blowing away (all VMWare VM's - so testing hardware
specific bugs is for me a non-starter (but I'm not expected to do
that).  I have fairly minimal kickstart installs for F7, F8, and
rawhide that I can morph into whatever I need them to be once
installed.

> 3. Are they shipped a package into their user directory and assigned the
> task ?

Nope, bugmail and searches.

> 4. How are their days ?  When they wait and wait for information from users,
> how do they experience it ?

They go on to other things - they generally have many, many bugs that
they are working on, so a lack of response on one does not mean they
do not have other things to work on.

> Perhaps I should install some replica of what is used at bugzilla.redhat.com
> ?
> ( is that doable ? )

I don't think that the exact code used on b.r.c is available (grr - I
want it for different reasons).  I however do have an installation of
upstream Bugzilla (3.0 something - Red Hat's is a heavily modified
2.18 right now, with an upgrade to 3.2 in the works), while not
exactly what's used, it's close enough for many tasks (and so far
divergent in other areas as to be useless)

> 5. I didn't get any response on my post:" Example of use: python-mozilla ?"
>
> $ bugzilla --user=USER --password=PWD info  ?  id-number or what ??

Hmm, I can't seem to get the help that's supposedly available :).
I've just used the source to learn how to use it, requires a minimal
understanding of python...

    elif action == 'info':
        p.add_option('-p','--products',action='store_true',
                help='Get a list of products')
        p.add_option('-c','--components',metavar="PRODUCT",
                help='List the components in the given product')
        p.add_option('-o','--component_owners',metavar="PRODUCT",
                help='List components (and their owners)')
        p.add_option('-v','--versions',metavar="PRODUCT",
                help='List the versions for the given product')

--
Jon Stanley
Fedora Bug Wrangler
jstanley at fedoraproject.org