QA/Code question..

Will Woods wwoods at redhat.com
Tue Mar 11 19:31:39 UTC 2008

On Tue, 2008-03-11 at 19:13 +0000, Johann B. Gudmundsson wrote:
> Just wondering if or we should report calls to empty directory's and non
> existing files and file them as bugs....

Unless it interferes with the normal operation of the code, no.

> Basically goes to quality of code, reduces hw resources ( cpu calls ),
> and so on..

"... premature optimization is the root of all evil." -Knuth

> For example...
>
> open("/usr/share/locale/en_US.UTF-8/LC_MESSAGES/initscripts.mo",
> O_RDONLY) = -1 ENOENT (No such file or directory)
> open("/usr/share/locale/en_US.utf8/LC_MESSAGES/initscripts.mo",
> O_RDONLY) = -1 ENOENT (No such file or directory)
> open("/usr/share/locale/en_US/LC_MESSAGES/initscripts.mo", O_RDONLY)
> =
> -1 ENOENT (No such file or directory)
> open("/usr/share/locale/en.UTF-8/LC_MESSAGES/initscripts.mo",
> O_RDONLY)
> = -1 ENOENT (No such file or directory)
> open("/usr/share/locale/en.utf8/LC_MESSAGES/initscripts.mo", O_RDONLY)
> =
> -1 ENOENT (No such file or directory)
> open("/usr/share/locale/en/LC_MESSAGES/initscripts.mo", O_RDONLY) =
> -1
> ENOENT (No such file or directory)

That's the expected behavior. It's searching the normal paths for
translation files. NOTABUG.

If you can actually get some profiling data to show that it's slowing
down system performance in a *significant*, *measurable* way then I'm
sure the glibc folks would be interested in hearing your suggestions on
how to speed things up.

Otherwise.. there's plenty of code that's *actually* broken that could
use some attention instead.

-w