init: Error on control socket: Permission denied

Will Woods wwoods at redhat.com
Wed Mar 12 14:51:25 UTC 2008

On Wed, 2008-03-12 at 06:23 -0700, Antonio Olivares wrote:
> Dear all,
>
> I installed updates on my machine and I tried to shutdown, it refused.  It said system is going down, BUT it did not go down.  I had to hold the power button till it shut down.  Upon rebooting, I saw the title on the screen
>
> init: Error on control socket:  Permission denied
>
> I cannot boot my machine, I'll set selinux=0 and try booting to see if I can get in.

*Never* use selinux=0 to temporarily disable SELinux.

It shuts off SELinux *entirely*, so your system doesn't label new files
with correct SELinux permissions. When you turn SELinux back on, it'll
take a long time doing a filesystem relabel and/or you'll have broken
permissions on a bunch of files.

Use enforcing=0 instead.

-w