Need assistance

Arne Chr. Jorgensen achrisjo at yahoo.com
Thu Mar 13 01:16:56 UTC 2008

Hi,

Well, I know I must look like a complete idiot, if you happen to read my last
messages.

I know you are all well meaning and so on. But I guess you can understand my
frustration, as at this very moment I have something that looks as a working maschine.
Some issues was resolved just a couple of days ago. I have never used IRC before, and
hoped and tried to get it working in time for the meeting. As now I have sound and
a desktop, etc. I still have not come around to set up an email reader, - so ?
For more then 1 year, I have not been able to download email. Imagine having to
browse the wikipages with lynx, or a desktop in which most buttons fall outside the
screen. Imagine installing fedora under such circumstances.

Imagine trying to get your hands on the source code, while what you are looking for
isn't supplied. You cannot recreate, compile anything. I did manage to get something
from rawhide with only "half" answers as what to do, an attempt to recreate the missing parts.

When I ask about such things like, could someone please give me an example of
the command line for the python.bugzilla I did install, as all I get is:

xmlrpclib.ProtocolError: <ProtocolError for bugzilla.redhat.com/xmlrpc.cgi: 500 Internal Server Error>

When I ask, what is it suppose to output - the answer is that use a script, while
they are not willing to share or tell you what it is.

>> I am happy to just be a "guest" - don't need any write access or much of anything.
>>
> You shouldn't need a fedora account then, you can leave this for later.

Well, when I said "guest" - it was because earlier answers did somehow indicate unwillingness or doubts regarding account.

>> But earlier - when you supplied me with how to get PGP key and such,
>> things broke, and resorted to other ways of getting stuff.
>
> Ways of getting what?

For instance - they way first instructed as to download or get some code, and
such.

> If you don't need to edit the wiki or provide other
> contributions (like packages, documentation) you don't need to do anything with
> gpg at all. To test and post to the list you don't need to bother with that.

Right, but some of the info and suggestion we have discussed here, would have
to be written one day, or all my questions and your answers has all been for nothing.
But, okay..I may spend some more time, attempting to get my own server up and running,
write what ever I like - some could then check it out and see if anyone would view
it as valuable for sharing or not.

>From my point of view, to find out how that key-stuff works, would be interesting,
as it could be valuable for use on my own server.

> To test and post to the list you don't need to bother with that.

Okay, fine.. I understand what you say - but ..well, to test what ?
I am not happy to "test" anything in which I don't receive some insight and understanding. When I explained that I only received server errors in my attempt
to resolve that PGP Key, I consider that as part of testing:

a) the user enter something wrong
b) there is a 'bug' or something that cause the error.

Bugzilla Bug 243172: APIC-Error "timer not connected to IO-APIC  - well, what
is it ? Is a 8254 timer there ? ( I designed I/0 controller cards, made them, programmed them for more then 20 years ago. Do they really use that old chip ? )
And I have the APIC documents, and of course I like to know what this is all about.
I have also pointed out what seems to be the error - so ? we should have the
kernel source code ? )

To test and file bugs, well..I have tried to help a bit, see
Bugzilla Bug 436644: Tgif does not work - I redesinged Tgif 18 years ago, made
a new application.

I am not that interested in filing bugs, but I do need to know all about how
the system works in order to test out some new ideas about how the whole process
could be done.

People have called, and shipped me half across the globe, in order to solve computer
problems where OEM and other "experts" failed. But that is years ago, and hardware
and programs are much more difficult today. So much that none have solved some of
the issues with my hardware. And it is pretty hopeless when you cannot even
get your email. To not be able to do anything for a whole year, because nothing
will drive or boot your hardware. And Vista has been a lot of trouble too, besides
it doesn't run anything I am interested in.

> To test and post to the list you don't need to bother with that.

Well, most can do that, so why the heck should I struggle with it in textmode,
with no mailreader, without some decent computers running ?

When things crashed, I got a temporary solution in receiving your emails, but
without access to download it. I asked if you had archeives, if there was a treaded
list, - but no, answer I got was "don't think so, and besides the things change
so fast, why bother ?"

Here I have struggled to collect answers, understand stuff, but without being able
to participate - for a damn year. And 2 days ago, I learn that you do have an archeive, and it is even threaded !!!!

fuck ...

//ARNE

Andrew Farris <lordmorgul at gmail.com> wrote: Arne Chr. Jorgensen wrote:
> hi,
>
>> [1] For general info about getting to the meetings, see:
>> http://fedoraproject.org/wiki/Communicate/FedoraMeetingChannel
>>
>> [2] If you don't have wiki access, see http://fedoraproject.org/wiki/
>
>> QA for info on joining.
>
> I am happy to just be a "guest" - don't need any write access or much of anything.

You shouldn't need a fedora account then, you can leave this for later.

> But earlier - when you supplied me with how to get PGP key and such,
> things broke, and resorted to other ways of getting stuff.

Ways of getting what?  If you don't need to edit the wiki or provide other
contributions (like packages, documentation) you don't need to do anything with
gpg at all.  To test and post to the list you don't need to bother with that.

> Same now.  To set up IRC,  following instructions on wikikpages - I only get
> internal server errors.
>
> I soon leave this whole group and give up Fedora.  I am only here to learn,
> and hopefully can be of some mutual help.
>
> But in most cases,  when you try to learn anything - you are blocked by all
> sorts of obstacles like this.

I have no idea which obstacles you've run into here.  Cannot get into IRC channels?

> Is there a contact person which can spare the time to help me resolve these
> issues ?

I'll try to answer any questions asked, but for many things like how to get on
IRC there are numerous pages out there on the web that explain it well already.
  Try reading http://tldp.org/HOWTO/IRC/ or http://freenode.net/faq.shtml

Spending time to write an overview of that seems like mostly duplicate effort.

--
Andrew Farris  www.lordmorgul.net

To unsubscribe:

http://mail.yahoo.com