psmouse.c resync failed -- locks system

Andy Baumhauer abaumhau at neo.rr.com
Mon Mar 17 02:46:55 UTC 2008

I have tried all types of changes to the boot string:

noapic
apic=force irqpoll
nohz=off highres=off

Nothing fixes the problem.  I tried without the nvidia drivers from
livna.  I finally tried booting to the LiveCD and the problem
disappeared.  It was then I realized that the kernel version was
2.6.23.1-42 versus the 2.6.24.3-33 I was running.  I reinstalled the
older kernel from the install disk, and the problem has gone away.

What might have changed from the .23 to .24 kernel that is causing this
freeze of the mouse?

One other observation:  The laptop has both a pointer and mouse
left/right on the keyboard, and a glidepad with left/right mouse
buttons.  Some of the kernel messages indicate that the reconnect
messages are incrementing the input locations.  I was reading some of
the source code changes, and I came across a patch that was supposed to
keep the input from changing device nodes during a reconnect.

At boot:

input: PS/2 Mouse as /devices/virtual/input/input2
input: AlpsPS/2 ALPS GlidePoint as
/devices/platform/i8042/serio1/input/input3

Then later on, after reconnect:

input: PS/2 Mouse as /devices/virtual/input/input13
input: AlpsPS/2 ALPS GlidePoint as
/devices/platform/i8042/serio1/input/input14

Thanks for any insights,

Andrew Baumhauer