Re: Continuing the saga: F9alpha AMD-64 HP DC7700 SFF switch_root: no filesystems

Will Woods wrote:

So, nearly all of the "cannot find /dev/root" problems we've seen have been mkinitrd-related. So davej is correct: it is very likely to be a mkinitrd bug. It *might* actually be something in the sata driver.. but I can't really tell one way or the other.

"booting has failed" in my case means "I can't find the drives."

I've downloaded source from kernel.org and built kernels for 2.6.24{,.1,.2.,3} and for 2.6.25-rc[1-5]. All the drivers I selected are built in, "make install" creates an initrd, but I've not looked at its contents. It doesn't work, but that's not important.

.3 finds the drives, rc1 does not. That's about as far as I can go until someone else has something to try.

--

Cheers
John

-- spambait