Two different applets for updates .. no help content

Andrew Farris lordmorgul at gmail.com
Fri Mar 21 02:30:24 UTC 2008

Jim Cornette wrote:
> I noticed awhile ago that there were two different applets for updates
> and just tried recently to explore them. Before posting questions I
> clicked on the help button but no help content was provided.
>
> Anyway, right clocking on the orange star allows you to pick up
> installing security updates automatically which is a decent feature for
> a wider variety of non-technical users. (nothing, all or security were
> choices)
> Are we supposed to have two icons or did something not get removed on my
> system?
>
> I like the interface for the orange star over the upside down hat. I am
> just curious.

The orange star is part of PackageKit, it is the default (should be only)
package system for F9 now.  The other is puplet, part of pirut.  You do not need
pirut any longer.  You should be able to rpm -e pirut.  Although
system-config-printer depends on system-install-packages and thats being put
into PackageKit so it might not remove easily yet.

> The kernel breaking poweroff really is a repeat episode from three
> previous times in the past and is getting a bit tiring to resubmit bugs
> on the issue. Is this a common problem or did I just get lucky?

My systems seem to work.

> This looks like it will be a good release if the speed improves on load
> and multiple applets get refined.
>
> Also SEtroubleshooter oes wild on my system and I had to disable it.
> Once an episode is encountered it should not bring up a balloon for each
> policy infringement. After several thousand denials the system gets a
> bit overloaded like a DOS condition. I hope it can be reformed to not
> put up a balloon with every episode.

With the new version it should have an option to keep the notification from
showing when you've got setroubleshoot open already.  I haven't checked whether
that is in the version in rawhide yet, but John Dennis got that added after an
RFE bug I posted for it.