Some things to focus testing on for F9Beta

Ronald Warsow rwarsow at online.de
Thu Mar 27 08:55:09 UTC 2008

Richard Hally wrote:
> Will Woods wrote:
>> Fedora 9 will have a lot of new and exciting things. Naturally, we want
>> those things to be stable and well-polished for the final release.
>>
>> With that in mind, here's a list of things that deserve especially close
>> attention.
>>
>> 1) PackageKit
>> This *replaces* pup and pirut, by default, on all new installs. If
>> you're following rawhide, *please* disable or remove pup and pirut and
>> test this. It's very important that you file bugs about *any* problems
>> with PackageKit.
>> Use the "gnome-packagekit" component in bugzilla for bugs about
>> confusing (or missing) UI pieces, and "PackageKit" for bugs about
>> backend errors, missing capabilities, or other (non-UI) problems.
>
> Holy smoke! Batman that packagekit is lame. It's not ready for prime
> time yet.
> The first two minutes and I have a list of things wrong. Where to start:
> 1. No help.
> 2. under the "groups" tab, the list of groups is disorganized.
do see something in this tab ?
I get an message box saying:
"No packages cache is available.
Yum cache was invalid and has been rebuilt."
I asked this course I want to fill a bz today, but if you see something
more then me, I'm not sure what to fill.

> 3. the list of packages in a group needs to be sorted.
> 4. just having a different color to indicate installed or not installed
> is *bad* ui design. think of colorblind people.
> 5. How do you select multiple packages to install at the same time?
> 6. how do you expand the "description" text box?
>
> number 5 is a real usability problem.
> I cannot understand how people are thinking this is ready to be the
> default s/w management app.

+1
That's what I was asking myself yesterday also, when I investigated  the
above problem a little bit deeper.

--
     Ronald