Network printer

Antonio M antonio.montagnani at gmail.com
Thu Mar 27 14:09:09 UTC 2008

2008/3/27, "Jóhann B. Guðmundsson" <johannbg at hi.is>:
> [...]
>  >>  >>  > both F8 and F9 but when I print a test page from F9 nothing happens.
>  >>  >>  > I gave a look to log files for cups but I didn't see anything strange!!!
>  >>  >>  > Where shall I start to look from scratch????
>  >>  >>  > Cups is v.1.3.6 on both Fedora machines.
>  >>  >>
>  >>  >>
>  >>  >> Try using the troubleshooter: from system-config-printer, select
>  >>  >>  Help->Troubleshoot.  It probably won't be able to find your problem
>  >>  >>  specifically, but will most likely have some useful information that you
>  >>  >>  will be able to paste into a bug report.
>  >>  >>
>  >>  >>  Thanks,
>  >>  >>  Tim.
>  >>  >>  */
>  >>  >>
>  >>  >>
>  >>  >> --
>  >>  >>  fedora-test-list mailing list
>  >>  >>  fedora-test-list at redhat.com
>  >>  >>  To unsubscribe:
>  >>  >>
>  >>  >>
>  >>  >>
>  >>  > Filed as:
>  >>  >  Bug 439154: Cannot print on a Windows shared printer
>  >>  >
>  >>
>  >> Just tested setting up 2 printers through S-C-P
>  >>  ( HP Laserjet 9000 and HP color Laserjet 4600 )
>  >>  with "windows" authentication against AD
>  >>
>  >>  The network printers are sett up on cups printer server (
>  >>  cups-1.2.4-11.14.el5_1.4 )
>  >>  running on RHEL 5
>  >>
>  >>  Worked flawlessly :)
>  >>
>  >>  Which show the smb authentication faze is working.. ( at least against
>  >>  2003 AD )
>  >>
>  >>  Maybe the printer job is getting dropped on the xp end?
>  >>
>  >>  Sure you don't have "allow" FC9 beta machine to print on the XP machine
>  >>  ( share/firewall/antivirus on xp ??? )
>  >>
>  >>  Best regards
>  >>                     Johann B.
>  >>
>  >> --
>  >>  fedora-test-list mailing list
>  >>  fedora-test-list at redhat.com
>  >>  To unsubscribe:
>  >>
>  >>
>  >>
>  > Johann
>  >
>  > 1) I am testing F9, no problem with F8 and same cups, and also with
>  > first release of F9.Unfortunately I made updates in the meantime but i
>  > didn't print much since then...
>  >
>  >

> On the same machine, same usernames?
>
>  If not what happens if you give it the ip address of the other machine..

yes exactle same users and some usernames between F8 and F9

>  > 2) There is no firewall on the XP machine
>  >
>  >

> If connected to the "outside world" bad idea
>  but it necessarily does not have to be the firewall..
>  ( Have come accross weird problems between M$ releases and or service
>  packs, firewall and antivirus products )

the XP machine is connected to the net through a firewall (a F8
machine acting as firewall)

> > 3) I guess that something is wrong with samba (but it is a shot in the
>  > dark, no idea where to begin...)
>  >
>  >

> Well at least I can confirm that smb printing is working correctly to
>  our printers server and AD.
>  Things get authenticated correctly and get printed.
>
>  And from the looks of it you last comment on the bug report it seems
>  that samba is working..
>
>  So I suggest M$ being the culprit in these matters... ( things being
>  blocked dropped or not allowed )

No, I disagree because F8 machine is printing while F9 is not, with
exactly same setup...and I repeat, at beginning of F9 testing, it was
printing also from F9

>  Best regard
>
>                    Jóhann B.
>
> --