Re: Can't enable desktop effects in Fedora 9 Beta (GNOME)

Scott (angrykeyboarder) wrote:
I'm running Fedora 9 Beta i686.

When I attempt to enable desktop effects (System --> Preferences ---> Look & Feel ---> Desktop Effects). The box to enable them pops up, I click "Enable Desktop Effects". The screen blanks out and is totally white. It then returns after I hit the escape key (it took a bit to figure that out) and I'm back to the "enable" box again.
At that point I just clicked "close".

No desktop effects.

$ sudo /sbin/lspci | grep nVidia
01:00.0 VGA compatible controller: nVidia Corporation NV40 [GeForce 6800 GT] (rev a1)

That card has 256MB of RAM. I've had no trouble with Compiz recently in Betas of Mandriva or Ubuntu.

Is this a bug or a feature? ;)

Well Nvidia's proprietary driver won't work the latest Xorg in rawhide. I consider that a feature ;-) Without that, you can't enable Compiz. Besides, IIRC one of the Compiz maintainers said that the current version is busted and there is a version bump in an update.

Rahul